Interesting Facts About the Game of Poker from Antiquity to the Present – Poker is arguably the most popular card game in the world today at land-based casinos and virtual online casinos. The learning curve is not steep and there is an element of skill involved in the equation so this is not a game based solely on luck. Poker has been around for a good 200 odd years, but there are some poker facts that may still surprise you and give you a little something to think about.
Poker originated in the United States
If the Texas Hold em’ name hasn’t given it yet, we’re here to tell you that the birthplace of poker is America, specifically, New Orleans. New Orleans is also the birthplace of Jazz and cocktail music. It is impossible to trace the exact location where the first hand of poker was situs poker online terpercaya played, but historians confirm that the game was designed and developed in the Louisiana area.
Early versions of Poker were played with only 20 cards
The poker we know and admire today is played with a full deck of 52 cards. However, in its early days, poker could be played with just a deck of twenty cards and four players. situs judi slot
The game then was a bit uncomplicated, the four players were dealt five cards each and betting would begin on who had the best hand. Historians say the 52 card decks were first fully integrated into the game from 1834 onwards.
A game of Poker once lasted for nearly eight and a half years
Bird Cage Theater in Arizona claims to have been home to the longest-running poker game ever. The game is supposed to start in 1881 and lasts a staggering eight years, five months and three days. According to Bird Cage Theatre, all of the players are famous wild west personality types and the minimum buy-in is $1000.
Poker chips and how they appear
During its infancy, poker was played for gold nuggets, gold coins and even gold dust. It was difficult to standardize units because of this and the need for standard units soon became apparent. This is when gambling houses and salons came up with poker chips. Poker chips used to be made of ivory, bone, clay and wood. Poker chips used to have designs to describe their value. Coins can be exchanged for real money right in the game house just like how it works in casinos today.
The first poker tournament aired
It is not uncommon for poker tournaments to be broadcast worldwide today, but in 1973 poker tournaments were, for the first time, broadcast on television. The tournament is a world series of Poker that takes place in Las Vegas.
Poker is the most profitable sport in the world
We all know how much soccer players, NBA players and golfers can make, but what’s not very well known is that if you look at the five biggest prizes awarded in super high roller tournaments, the total amount of these awards comes to $44,202,738 which makes poker the most profitable game in the world by a good margin.
English Poker in the Guinness Book
The biggest poker game ever was in Onchan, Isle of Man. There were 225,000 grinders competing for the top $25,000 in June 2013. Tournaments hosted by PokerStars earned $1 buy-ins.
The evolution of poker
Poker is believed to have evolved from Dominoes and ranked card combinations. In 969 AD, Emperor Mu-Tsung is said to have played dominoes with his wife. What’s even more interesting is that bluffing was an integral part of that game and so is today.
Food for thought
- More than 300 million 7 card poker combinations exist.
- The best poker players will not have an advantage of more than 5% against other good players.
- The way pro-poker players stack their chips is usually a technique used to trick their opponents.
- Leaning forward or backward is an indication of a strong hand.
- Bullies use the ‘eye to eye’ technique aka staring technique to make you sad.
- Superstitious poker players gamble in dirty clothes. The sure way to success, say some legends.
Varian Game Poker
Below we have listed the different variants of poker games that can be played online, and keep in mind that if you have never played any of the poker games before, you can certainly test them out through the free play options available in all of our ratings. and risk-free approved poker sites!
- Texas Hold’em – The only game that every poker player will enjoy or will play at one time or another is the game of Texas Hold’em Poker and each poker site that we feature on our website will offer several different game structures at different times. their version of the game includes a very high risk Unlimited variant!
- Omaha Poker – You will find two unique variants of Omaha Poker offered on our listed poker sites, the first is the standard version which conforms to the usual playing rules, however the Omaha Hi Low variant is quite unique in that when you play it at the end of the game there are two pots up for grabs and one is awarded to the poker game holding the highest ranked poker hand and the other is awarded to the player with the lowest ranked poker hand.
- Poker139 – Well one variant of the poker game that is often of interest to poker players who know how many different poker games work and operate is the Poker139 game variant, when it comes to the game of poker which requires a full understanding of how many different poker games work and play and the strategy needed to play all of them then this game offers such a play format.
This game is actually one that uses several different poker games and each new round is played therefore it is played with different variants of poker games in the game, take a look at our listed poker sites as many of them offer very helpful playing tips which will allow You’ll need to master the workings and gameplay of this very unique poker variant, but it will take some getting used to if you’re new to poker, so be careful!